Skip to main content

a glance back into the year

2012, is supposed to be the year the world ends. Yet, it didn't and i'm glad it did't because 2012 was a very special year. A reviews of all my entries (or the lack of it) allowed me to remember significant events that happened. There was a huge contrast between the first and the second half of the year. To sum up the year, it was basically hectic year 2 sem 2, internship and Taiwan exchange.

It seems like the start of 2012 was really bad because right after i recovered from stomach flu in December, i fell sick for a month. Till now, i still remember the binding headache i had and the blood in the mucus i had. It was so bad that i went to see the doctor for 4 times (2 western, 2 chinese) and skipped a many lessons in January. And then it was a hectic rush of projects after projects and presentations, as usual while juggling dance rehearsals for JDC.

But the really bad news came during April and finally May which is when i lost my grandmother to cancer. Furthermore, it was the finals period so I couldn't go back to Malaysia as and when i wanted to visit her before her final days. Now, I'm just really glad that she doesn't have to suffer anymore but i guess the family is gonna need to take quite a while to get used to this change.

Right after finals came internship which was a really enriching experience. My internship was with a mid sized audit firm which i haven't heard of. The first day of work was just a culture shock where we were given a 3 hours long lecture on what is audit all about, then we were brought into a room especially for us audit interns only and immediately assigned a client to audit by ourselves. From being totally clueless and just following a template of instructions to audit planning meetings with the boss to visiting clients' place to slowly understanding what audit is all about, it was a great 11 weeks of journey. Especially made so due to the fellow audit interns in the same room, all twenty of us from SMU and NTU learning bit by bit together, helping and advising each other, complaining together, playing tetris battles and pokemons secretly, the lunches together at the same hawker center daily and the after work outings. It was hectic but all was good.

During internship, one particular great news that sent me over the moon was the acceptance letter from my exchange university which pretty much determined what the later half of my year turned out. All i had to say is 5 months away from home wasn't as daunting a task as it seemed. Albeit the tearful goodbye when i left, i quickly forgot all about it and went on to travel for two whole weeks. We subsequently settled down in our university and was pretty disheartened at first due to the dorm conditions. But soon all was good again when school started and we made new friends and discover new things daily. The highlight of exchange was definitely getting my diving license. It was part nervous and mostly exhilaration the first time i dived down into the sea and took my first breath underwater. Besides diving, it was joining the dance club in school there and meeting many wonderful local friends and also a spontaneous and fun loving German exchange student. All i know is that on exchange i constantly had the thought that life's good, really really good. Without stress coupled basically with a new temporary environment to recreate yourself, i did things i normally won't 'cause i know at the end of the day it didn't matter when i return home. Life was indeed easy back then, happiness came naturally and everyday felt fulfilling.

2012 ended with an unusual countdown away from home for me without the usual F3. Countdown was at Dream Mall with ten of thousands of people, stars on stage performing, fireworks and most importantly friends that felt like family in Taiwan. All in all, 2012 was a wonderful year because of exchange which i always wanted to go. Memories in 2012 were made whether good or bad, i'm just glad i'm alive. So on we go to 2013, i hope it will be good too though i will be back in Singapore for my last semester of school and then work will start.

(reviewed only in april 2013, such a late entry)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Late night thoughts

Sometimes as we rush to move forward, day by day passed and we forget to stop and take a look, to reflect and to feel. All in the name of Busy. I would say that this Friday's sickness came just at the right time as I forced myself to take a much needed break. A full 10 hours of sleep in a while now, having some me time albeit just to lay around in bed the whole day to watch shows. Catching up on conversations with friends I didn't realized I miss so dearly and reminiscing about good old times. It has been merely 5 months odd. Yet, when we talked about school, it feels like another lifetime away. Sometimes I hope that just for even one day, we can go back in time, walk in the corridors and stop to say hi to familiar faces. It's these little things I miss about school. Mostly the once familiar environment and the freedom.  That's not to say that work is a dreadful task. It's just that Work is like an all consuming entity that creeps up in your mind, occupy your life i...
"Where would you find your triumphs and minor setback? The personal confirmations that provide nourishment for the soul?" -The Last Good Man by A.J. Kazinski

#yolo

As I'm laying on my bed now, I try my best to not think about my trip tomorrow for fear that I may start panicking. Now that I think about it, I must have been crazy to book an air ticket to Europe two weeks before the flight. 5 weeks in Europe and less than 2 weeks of planning! What was I thinking? And we are only two girls. I didnt even thought about going to Europe after I came back from exchange since I was immensely broke. Well, but I have to say somewhere along the way someone planted that thought in my head. Even though I kept throwing it away and telling myself it's impossible, signs keep popping out and gave me the hope again. And indeed, somehow things that are bad started clicking together and turned for the better. It is like the universe wanted me to go. As always it's the pre trip jittery and I as usual is not prepared at all even under prepared this time. I always start off a trip with uncertainty and come back full of memories. Wish me luck this time round a...